December 22, 2008

Favorite Christmas songs

All the cool kids like to bitch about how cheesy and awful and goddamn annoying Christmas music is, and that's true when you're in the mall, but now that I'm no longer forced to listen to it, I love Christmas music again. My favorites are the ones that have little to do with Jesus, because I'm a heathen, but despite the fact that I have no use for Christianity (or religion of any kind), I still do love the traditional songs, because they're familiar, and some of them are quite lovely. And if you look at the story of the birth of Jesus as what it is--a myth--then, you know, it's kind of a sweet story.

But anyway, this is not about Christianity, this is about my top five favorite Christmas songs:
5. What Child Is This? - as sung by Sarah McLachlan
4. River - Joni Mitchell
3. What's This? - from The Nightmare Before Christmas
2. Spotlight on Christmas - Rufus Wainwright
1. Welcome Christmas - from How the Grinch Stole Christmas

How do you feel about Christmas music, internet?

No comments: