December 22, 2008

The Florida Chronicles, Part One

Since the rest of our friends are lame, Carlos and I jetted away on our own private vacation this weekend and spent four days bummin' around the Tampa Bay area. We saw feesh and manatees and crazy Christians, and we went to the beach 3 times! Also, they have good fuckin' food around Tampa: we had Thai, Greek, Indian, and exotic fast food, by which I mean Steak 'n Shake and Sonic. (Oh man, you guys, Steak 'n Shake is SO GOOD.)
Okay, so on Thursday, we explored downtown St. Petersburg a little, and then we drove around looking for a place to buy CDs, since I did not bring my iPod equipment, and the radio stations were dismal. We also had to find a place for Carlos to buy flip-flops since they apparently do not sell them in El Paso in December. It was not the most exciting of nights, but we made our own fun.
Then on Friday we went to the Florida Aquarium, which was quite lovely, but somehow not as exciting as the New England Aquarium. Maybe I'm just biased, but every aquarium I've been to has paled in comparison to the New England Aquarium, but I think the Florida one comes in second.
After that, we had some totally awesome Thai food and then went on a search for the places Carlos lived in when he was small, and then we went to Davis Island to take some pictures and see the water. We did a lotta driving, and the Tampa area is really quite lovely, and I could almost want to live there, except I don't think I could ever really leave the Northeast, horrible snowstorms and all. Also, Florida is one of the states that passed gay marriage bans, so fuck you, Florida.
Ahem. We took some night pictures in Tampa and accidentally ended up at a bum congregation area after dark trying to get pictures of some of the lit up buildings. Erp. But we escaped!
Part two, featuring the Holy Land Experience, tomorrow. That madness needs its own post.

No comments: