January 8, 2009

Here are today's top stories

image snagged from Full Metal Democrat
I know I'm probably the last lesbian in America (in the world?) to jump on the Rachel Maddow bandwagon, but that's because I can't watch cable news shows. Even hosted by someone I probably totally agree with. But I've seen enough of her to know that she's super extra smart, articulate, and totally adorable, in an "if Harry Potter were a lesbian" kind of way. (Uh, that's a good thing, really.) Anyway, the reason I am writing about her today is because I watched her appearance on The Daily Show, and I have discovered my favorite thing about her is not that she's a super genius or that she's a big lesbo with her own news show or even that she wears glasses. It is how hard she laughs at Jon Stewart. Like, he is funny, obviously, but she just lets go a number of times in this interview, like what he said is the funniest thing she's ever heard in her life. That is so endearing. And he obviously admires and respects her, and as fun as it is to watch him totally tear those he disagrees with apart, I love watching him talk to someone who's on the same side of the political spectrum as he is. I don't like political debating--it gives me hives to watch people fight, even in a civilized manner. In fact, uncivilized fighting is much more easier to stomach, because then there's always at least a small chance that someone's weave is gonna get ripped off! And that is nothing less than pure entertainment. No, I like it best when it's two liberals lightly ripping on conservative bigots. I know that's immature and biased, but I don't know how to let somehow have a differing opinion on important issues without wanting to hurl. I'm working on it, and in fact one of my very best friends in the whole world and I agree on almost nothing politically, but it still makes me crazy when I think about it too deeply.


Anyway, Rachel Maddow is adorable, and the way she laughs at Jon Stewart is utterly charming. I should really watch The Daily Show when it airs.

However! She doesn't own a tv! She claims she watches the good ol' Daily Show "on the online machine" (heeeeee), but is that for truth? At least she said she didn't own a tv without sounding like one of those snobs who think popular entertainment is beneath them. That's the other thing! This woman is so smart and so well-informed, but she's never come across as condescending. That's, uh, a minor miracle.

Okay. I am fully and utterly smitten starting right at this moment.

1 comment:

sunnyday04 said...

She's unfortunately taken. But, I think it's the glasses and the geek-chic that makes me totally want her.