March 4, 2008

Things I thought!

I love how everyone who isn't from New England spells Worcester with an h. Do they pronounce it Worchester too? Wooster, y'all, with the double o like in book.

Speaking of books, I need a new one to read. I'm re-reading Many Waters and Annie on My Mind, because they are beloved, but I also would like to read something brand new. I think I'm over The Other Boleyn Girl--historical fiction is usually not my thing, even though Elizabethan England is one of my favorite historical periods. But since this is pre-Elizabethan, it does not hold my interest. Even though it, uh, leads directly to Elizabeth's existence. Whatever!

So I finally saw half an episode of Idol today, and oh my god, Danny Noriega is the textbook definition of a fagtron. Seriously. That was such a drag queen performance. I felt like I was at the 3. He also reminds me of Ian Cheever, somehow, though Ian is cuter. And red-haired. And really looks nothing like Danny Noriega, but reminds me of him nonetheless!

This is one of my favorite stories about language ever. I probably have already told it, but I feel compelled to retell it. Sophomore year of college, in my conversational Spanish class, we were talking about regional word usage, and the one boy in the class, Eddie, talked about "wicked," and how in New England, it is totally an adverb and not an adjective. He said one his friends said something like, "My mother is wicked," and Eddie felt like he was left hanging. "Wicked what?" he asked. I love it. "Wicked" is a qualifier, not an adjective. It's my favorite regionalism, I think.

No comments: