October 16, 2008

Lost

Last year, when the Red Sox were in this exact situation, down 3-1 in the ALCS, Josh Beckett had the ball for the do or die game 5, and I had no doubts whatsoever that he would keep them in it. Josh Beckett has failed twice this post-season. Like, spectacularly. And it's not even him with the ball this time. I don't know what to do.

Back to back World Series wins would be fantastic. You know the last time that happened? 1915 and 1916. Although, at least it has happened in Red Sox history, I suppose. Losing to the Rays would be kind of embarrassing, despite the fact that they're clearly on fire this year. Still. They were the worst team in Major League Baseball last season, and Boston was, ostensibly, the best. You know, since they won the World Series.

Worst of all, it seems like the fans just don't care this year. I am beginning to include myself in this. I don't know. The curse is gone, and now we're all complacent? It's just baseball? Boston is not a town that says, "It's just baseball."

Fix it, Daisuke.

No comments: