June 6, 2007

Capitalize this, mother-effer

Even before I was a professional proofreader, I had the rules of grammar and punctuation shoved up my butt, so it really kind of pains me to admit this, but... I hate the rules of capitalization. I hate capitalizing titles of things beyond the initial letter in the first word. Maybe learning the rules of Spanish grammar and punctuation did this to me? But it's true. I hate it. I hate correcting incorrectly capitalized prepositions or articles or conjunctions. However, I also hate the rule many other style guides have opted for of capitalizing every single word in a title, regardless of its part of speech, because I think that just looks ugly.

However. Maybe I now hate the rules of capitalization, because I've been spending hours fixing the capitalization in my iTunes library.

Help.

No comments: