June 15, 2007

Apparently, the world is having a Baby-Sitters Club resurgence

Who knew?

Okay. Y'all. Y'all, y'all, y'all. The other day I found the greatest/weirdest/worst thing ever. They turned the first Baby-Sitters Club book into a graphic novel. Honest to God. Here is a link. I don't know what to make of this information. I think it's awesome or the end of the world. I mean, I'm not a fan of graphic novels, but it's not like the Baby-Sitters Club books were great works of literature. They were even worse than Harry Potter, and I read them like there was no tomorrow. Natch, my fave was Kristy, except she was kind of loud and obnoxious, so sometimes I preferred Mary Anne. And Alex Mack was in the movie! Good grief, Baby-Sitters Club love is so embarrassing.

But, in retrospect, here is my favorite moment from the entire BSC collection. I have no idea which book it's from--probably one of the earlier ones--but it involves punctuation (shockingly enough). So, the BSC beetches are having a meeting at Claudia's, as they do, and they apparently have some sign that says "Baby-Sitters Club" on Claud's door, because at some point Claudia's sister Janine--who is a huge bookish nerd in direct contrast to Claudia, the artsy slacker--stops by to ruminate on the subject of whether or not there should be an apostrophe in their club's name. Pretty much everyone is dumbfounded, and I cannot for the life of me recall any of Janine's reasoning for the apostrophe or against it, but it has stuck in my head lo these many years. I believe "Baby-Sitters Club" requires an apostrophe, because the club belongs to the baby-sitters, and I think that was one of Janine's ruminations, but I have no idea what she decided. Of course, Claud and the gang totally ignored her. I really wish I could find that book. I would love to read that scene again. Too bad I totally threw/gave away all my BSC books out of utter embarrassment.

Now, today I found this blog. This bitch is re-reading all the BSC books and blogging about it. It's fantastic. Here's a taste: "The front cover painting shows Jessi, Mallory, Dawn/Stacey (I can’t always tell them apart in cover art. Sometimes trendy/sophisticated and California casual look EXACTLY THE SAME!) are playing in the leaves with some kids, possibly Pikes." I always had that problem! I never knew which one was Dawn and which was Stacey on the damn covers. What was that about?

No comments: