September 12, 2008

Teenage nerds

So. It's no secret that I like books and movies aimed at younger audiences. Netflix knows this. Amazon knows this. So at one point, Amazon recommended a book to me called Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and I was like, whatever. Then I vaguely heard it had been made into a movie, so the next time I was at Barnes & Noble, I picked it up, because I was in the mood for some light YA literature.

And it was good. Like, better than I ever expected, but I have a slight problem. This book is from 2006, and the protagonists are seniors in high school, and nearly all the pop culture references are to things that almost I am too young for. Like, there are copious references to My So-Called Life, which I loved, but I was ten when that show was on, and these little shits would have been, like, six. I know, I know, it got second life on MTV, but the characters seem too young to be this cool.

Also, there was a whole big Sound of Music thing, and that's timeless, and I loved it, and the best part of all, the entire novel was full of gayness, despite the fact that it was a straight love story.

Anyway, I started writing all this because I just saw the trailer, and I get that they had to change some stuff from the book so that we get all the salient back story points. But. But! In the trailer, it's Norah who asks Nick to be her boyfriend for five minutes, and in the book it's Nick who asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. Why did they change that? Why did they make the girl more pathetic? WHY?

No comments: