August 3, 2007

Some people call me Maurice

My iTunes' favorite song is "The Joker/Everything I Own" by Jason Mraz and Chrissie Hynde, and I kind of can't blame it, but really. I've never told it to play this song, and it's played it seven times. It's closer to the bottom of the most-played list, because I spent all of July unable to stop listening to Kelly Clarkson, so her songs are in the 60s and 70s on number of spins, but when I give iTunes its head and let it go crazy, it always seems to play that song.

Also, how should I punctuate the possessive form of iTunes? The word iTunes itself must be plural, but it's only referring to one thing. So should it be iTunes's? I'm having a crisis. Oh, whatever, it has more than one syllable, so I could drop the possessive s anyway. iTunes' is easier to say. Sigh.

Okay, so I have an uncontrollable crush on Brandi Carlile, like really. A lot of pictures of this girl don't do her justice, because she is breathtaking in person. That is the picture that inspired this babbling session, though--she's beautiful, no? If you disagree, we're not friends.

This crush is almost as bad as the one I have on Kelly Clarkson. Actually, I think it might be worse, because it's newer. And because, while Kelly Clarkson has canceled her tour this summer, I am going to see Ms. Carlile not once, but twice in the next three months. So, sorry, Kelly. I love you to pieces, but Brandi is actually gay (I'm pretty sure), and she's touring like a mofo. I saw her in May already, and I'm gonna see her a week from Tuesday, and then Jess and I are going to see her in October. I can't stop freaking out about it!

I may also be trying to distract myself from the fact that I was supposed to see Kelly Clarkson at the Garden tomorrow night. Oh, I am sad. But I have Brandi. And the Indigo Girls.

Sometimes, I think I want to have a kid just so I can share with him or her all my favorite children's books (and films and television programs--but mostly books). And so I could decorate his/her room with posters depicting my favorite children's books. Is that a weird reason to want to have a kid? I mean, I would take care of it and love it and everything, even when it wasn't listening to my favorite children's books. But, whatever. I don't really want to have a kid, not for, like, ten years anyway.

And now! My list of the best children's books ever (read-aloud edition)
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Frederick, Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse, and Swimmy by Leo Lioni
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein
The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack
Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound by John Irving
The Lorax, Green Eggs & Ham, Horton Hears a Who, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and many others by Dr. Seuss
A My Name Is Alice by Jane E. Bayer
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst

There are many other fantastic children's books, but those are my faves.

No comments: