August 22, 2007

Where would it hurt?

Have you ever experienced something entirely intangible that is nevertheless so good that it hurts? Like it legit hurts your heart, the beauty of this thing. It happened to me when Imogen Heap's "Can't Take It In" started up with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe credits, and it happened to me at the end of The Order of the Phoenix, and it most certainly happened to me as I was falling asleep in my mom's car on the way home from the Brandi Carlile/Indigo Girls show. Do you know this feeling? That you've just experienced something so beautiful and enjoyable and so perfect for you that something in your chest expands and hurts, just a little. Well, either way, I feel that for perfect things. I felt that at the end of The Amber Spyglass, actually, too. And every time this happens, I think of Angela saying, "You're so beautiful it hurts to look at you," and Rayanne just laughs and laughs. "Where would it hurt?" But I know exactly what she means.

In mostly unrelated news, after a week of careful deliberation, I have replaced Kelly Clarkson with Brandi Carlile as my number one imaginary girlfriend. Just in time for Kelly to announce she's actually touring in the fall! And so is Brandi! They'll have to duke it out in their live performances, and then we'll see if Kelly will reclaim her spot or if Brandi will stand firm. At this point in my life, it's really not looking so good for Kelly...

No comments: