September 27, 2007

Caught in a landslide

If you thought all this American Idol business was going to distract me from talking about Brandi Carlile, well...you're an idiot.

First, let's talk about one of her new songs, "I Write These Words." I love this song so hard, but my fave part is the beginning of the second verse: "Do you need me to be in love? Is that what you're thinking of when you think that I'm too angry?" I could be way off, but it makes me think that Brandi's critics (whoever these idiots are who say her songs are too angry and depressing) have told her she needs to get laid, and then maybe she could write a lighter song. Because I'm a perv. But if she does need to get laid, I'm pretty sure her entire female fan base could help her out there.

Second, apparently she's been doing "Bohemian Rhapsody" at her shows these days, and if she doesn't do it in Boston, I will cry. I will. That song will always and forever be Wayne's World for me, and I looooooove it. And if I could just hear Brandi Carlile sing it? I might be able to die happy.

Third, I finally got my hands on all of her unreleased stuff, and it's making me crazy, how much more I have to love her now. I didn't realize I could love her more, but I mean, I have all these new songs to listen to, and some of them are so good that they hurt me. But I have to say I really like the way she's worked her voice to sound for her two major release records. It was more raw on her early stuff, which I like plenty, but now it's, like, pure and clear and utterly beautiful. Not that she's left the raw stuff behind--just listen to "The Story"--but her voice is sweeter when she smooths it out, I think--and it makes the breaks more powerful and emotional, and I listened to "The Story" on repeat for days after that album came out, just to hear her voice break on "all of these lines across my face." And I don't really know what most of that was supposed to mean, because this girl makes me inarticulate. The end.

No comments: