September 18, 2007

Do you know what that's worth?

Look, I'm trying to exorcise this Brandi Carlile obsession, okay? So I'm just going to keep talking about her until I finally grow tired of it. For Kelly Clarkson, that took about five years, since I became obsessed in the summer of '02, and once I'd burned holes in My December from playing it too much, the obsession was put to rest. I still love her, but I'm not crazy anymore. I hope it doesn't take five years for Brandi, but well. We'll see.

Anyway, here's a thing that drives me crazy: When people who are older than I am hear her name, they always go, "Belinda Carlisle?" No, you fuck nuggets! Not Belinda Carlisle. Christ. I heard that at the Indigo Girls show--and my dad said it to me, and Mike's manager said it to him (though I don't think Mike knows who Belinda Carlisle is...), and it made me insane. But here's the kicker: when the River first started playing her (in 2005, I think, because I was definitely still in school, and I remember this happening in the kitchen of our old house), and the DJs would be all, "new one from Brandi Carlile," I was, like, "Belinda Carlisle? What? No, that's not right." Sorry, Brandi. And suck it, Belinda.

I wonder if Brandi gets that to her face. That would make me sad. But then if I were Brandi, I would start playing a cover of "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" just to fuck with people.

3 comments:

sunnyday04 said...

You know what? This post makes me laugh, because whenever I was at the used bookstore the other day, I stumbled upon a Belinda Carlisle record... and totally considered buying it and asking Brandi to sign it to see what she would do. Then I opted against it, because if she didn't get the joke... it would be kinda bad :P It's such an awesome looking album cover too. All pink and bright and 80s.

Booknerd said...

Hah! I think she might get the joke, but I'd never be willing to take the chance that she wouldn't.

sunnyday04 said...

I'm kind of really considering it now. I'll at least find it funny, which is the most important thing. I need something to get me excited about this trip, because sadly... I'm not too fired up about it yet!