September 24, 2007

Can't talk about American Idol and not bring up Kelly Clarkson

Okay, so last night Jess and I went to the American Idols' concert at the Verizon Wireless Whatever in Manchester, and it was quite possibly the gayest thing we've ever attended. Including that party full of drag queens we went to at the beginning of the month. It was more entertaining than I was expecting. The girls outperformed the hell out of the boys. Blake was fun to watch in the beginning, but then he got all self-indulgent with the beatboxing, and I was, like, zzzzzzzzzz. I unexpectedly actually fell in love a little bit with Gina Glocksen, but Melinda Doolittle was still the star of my show. Also, unexpectedly, the tween set was totally in love with Gina. I have the same taste as the eleven-year-olds. Just so you know. Lakisha brought the house down with a really amazing "I Will Always Love You," and I remembered that she was one of the ones who could really turn it out. Melinda totally rocked out "Natural Woman," and even though I have this thing about Idol contestants performing songs Kelly killed on during her Idol tenure, I loved it. Melinda's the only person who could do that--she could have sung every song Kelly Clarkson has ever sung in her life, even "Stuff Like That There," and I would have eaten it up. Girl knows how to sing--and perform. However, it was the actual winner--bless her heart--who provided the highlight of my night, though, when she totally earnestly did Jewel's "You Were Meant for Me," playing the guitar for her own self. It was just as cheesy as you'd think it would be, but it was adorable. When she started playing it, I was, like, "This sounds like Jewel," and then it actually was Jewel, and I couldn't not laugh. But she was so earnest! And sweet! And I almost forgot about how she was involved in all that anti-legal-abortions crap. Oh, but she made herself cry during "I Who Have Nothing," and I was kind of like, "Cut the crap, Jordin," but she did seem to genuinely and utterly love every minute of her time onstage, so if she's happy, if it's real for her, good for her.

Jess and I took a million pictures, which I plan to post to flickr tonight, because we had surprisingly good seats, and even though I am not the most talented photographer, and she was having issues with my digital camera, I'm sure some of them came out. There are a million pictures of Hot Pants Scarnato, because Jess is in love with her, but well, hopefully there are other good ones. I tried to take as many of Gina and Melinda as possible, but who knows. They all kept moving! It was hard.

No comments: