August 15, 2008

Have I even talked about baseball at all?

I do not think so. I have Twittered about the Sox, but that's about it. I'm sure that I'll have obsessive blog posts come October. Uh, hopefully. Seriously, where did the Tampa Bay Rays even come from?

But anyway, I don't actually want to talk about the Sox today. I want to talk about Olympic baseball. The U.S. is playing Cuba right now, and it's the eleventh inning, tied three to three, and apparently, brand new this year, in the eleventh inning, each team starts with runners on first and second and no one out, and they can pick where they want to start in the lineup.

What?

No, seriously, what kind of blernsball madness is this? This is, like, a fake rule. And Cuba just scored two runs because of the bonus base runners! Is this to prevent games from going into a million extra innings? Does that often happen in Olympic baseball? I've never even seen Olympic baseball before.

Also, where do the Olympic baseball players come from for this country? Not the major league. The minor league? College? I know basketball gets the pros, because it's not basketball season during the Olympics. Well, it is WNBA season, but they only play, like, what, twenty games? Because there are, like, twelve teams. No, I don't know. That's a horrible understatement. But anyway, the WNBA's season is shorter than the NBA's, so they can take some time off to go to the Olympics. But who are these baseball players?

This is madness. Starting the eleventh inning with two bonus base runners! Who came up with that?

No comments: