August 25, 2008

More baseball, minimal Sox talk

Once upon a time, the Toronto Blue Jays were good. They must have actually been better than the Yankees and the Red Sox at least one year, because I can just barely remember their being in the World Series against...the Braves? (Not because I was wicked young or anything, but because I was only marginally aware of baseball in the '90s. My dad was a Yankees' fan, and that's all I knew.) The one time I went to Cooperstown, I bought a Blue Jays hat, because I was obsessed with collecting baseball caps at the time, and I liked the logo, and it must have been the summer after they were in the World Series. (Did they even win? I do not know.)

Anyway, these days, the Blue Jays suck, despite the fact that they totally murdalized Boston the other day--that was painiful--and their logo is so lame now, with the angry bird and the letter J. Or is it a T? I don't know. Maybe it's both! How clever.

Ahem. So the point of this story is that I found this description of the team on stubhub kind of hilarious:

"The Blue Jays are a Toronto tradition. Their fans keep showing up to games despite the fact that the Yankees and Red Sox have been winning a lot lately. Whenever those two teams come to town, fans of the Jays get extra jazzed up and the whole community of Toronto rallies for the 'Outsiders.' This year, the Toronto Blue Jays are for real."

Mostly that last part cracked me up. The Blue Jays are "for real." (Not for fake.) Okay, so they're not in last place anymore, and they seem to always be able to beat the Yankees and the Red Sox (infruriatingly!), but this year is...not their year.

Also, I have been in Toronto twice this baseball season, and the Blue Jays were on road trips both times, so I hate them, because it is my dream to see a game in every major league stadium somehow, and they're making it really difficult for me. (I'm 2 for...30 as of this writing.)

Oh. The other thing: there were plenty of Blue Jays fans at the Rogers Center when the Red Sox were in town this weekend, but I could see and hear a sizeable portion of Red Sox nation there. It wasn't as bad as it is at Camden Yards, but... I think the Blue Jays fans might have been outnumbered.

I probably totally don't have that hat anymore, which is sad. It was fitted and all official, just like the players wore. They must have won the World Series--otherwise I'm sure I never would have even heard of them.

No comments: