February 13, 2008

She don't got a lot to say

So I finished Special Topics in Calamity Physics last night and was left feeling rather cold. Once the climax happened, the whole thing seemed to unravel, and I just did not like the ending at all. I don't know. This book was odd. I meant to do a more detailed review of it, but I left the book at home. So all I can really say is that the story was puzzling. Maybe I just haven't really decided what to make of it yet. Some review on the back of the book said this novel puts Marisha Pessl in the same category with young writers like Dave Eggers and Jonathan Safran Foer, and I've not read Foer, but the way Dave Eggers writes just makes me so happy, that someone can use language the way he does. I don't know--that's a queer thing to say--but I can't think of another way to articulate it. I know A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is, like, in the dirty backpack of every self-serious college student, but it's just really well-written--heartfelt and funny and intelligent. His novel, You Shall Know Our Velocity!, is brilliant, too. Pessl really doesn't compare to him. Her writing style is fine, and you know I love all the literary references in the novel, but... There were only one or two passages that really made me happy I was reading something.

Okay, because I am crazy, I found this on somebody's blog this morning: "i totally have a safe and normal 'girl crush' on Brandi Carlile." What the eff does that mean? As opposed to a dangerous and crazy girl crush that causes you to stalk her across the country and give her elaborate gifts even though you've only met her twice for the briefest of moments? I don't think so. I get the feeling that "safe and normal" is opposed to "totally fucking gay," which is the only kind of girl crush to have on Brandi Carlile, by the way. You can't have a non-gay crush on this girl. That would be like having a non-gay crush on Amy Ray or k.d. lang or Ellen. Seriously, if anyone can turn girls gay, it's Brandi Carlile. Hide your daughters, ignorant people.

So, okay, having a crush on Brandi doesn't make you totally gay--if you like guys and everything, that's fine, but really, if you do have a crush on her, you're a little bit gay. And there's nothing abnormal about that!

I am so sick of homophobia. I've only been really dealing with it for, like, six years, but still. That's more than enough. I can't even imagine all the gay people who have to deal with it constantly--and, you know, for much longer than six years. I'm lucky to live where I do, in a state that recognizes that gays are the same as everyone else. What if I lived in Tennessee or some place horrible? I might still be in denial. Ugh, what a terrible thought.

I like Barack Obama and all, but I still really want Hillary to be the next president, and now she's kind of losing. But who the hells knows what's really going to happen at the convention? At least Huckabee's totally out of it.

Stupid Netflix. I sent both of my movies back, and they haven't even gotten them yet. I want some new movies, dammit.

This entry is boring me. Time to post it!

2 comments:

sunnyday04 said...

No comment. :P I do not see myself in that post AT ALL. Not one bit. Crush on Brandi? Impossible.

Booknerd said...

I know, you? Crush on Brandi? Hah! My example was clearly a work of pure fiction.