October 22, 2007

The Chippendales dancers are gay. They're gaaaaaaaaay.

Okay, I know by now this is old news, but I don't blog on the weekends, bitches. Anyway, Dumbledore is gay. Gay! He fell in love with Grindelwald! And while it's, like, really nice to know that Jo is aware of the existence of the gays, it's kind of crappy that this is an after-the-fact revelation. Like, "Now that the books are over I can tell you that one of my characters was gay--and you had no idea!" What is the point of that, exactly? To have a secretly gay character? Though I have no idea how Dumbledore's preference for dudes would have even come up--and it would have needlessly added to an already overstuffed story. I don't know. What am I trying to say? I like that Dumbledore is gay; I just wish it was something known about him that just didn't matter, you know? But I can just see Ron freaking out about it, can't you? He would be all, "Harry, Dumbledore likes blokes. What if that's why he wants to do private lessons with you?" Because, as much as I love him, Ron is kind of an asshole. And Hermione would freak out about how Dumbledore would never do something so inappropriate, and Harry would be kind of uncomfortable for a while, but he would soon see that Dumbledore's sexuality has absolutely nothing to do with his capacity to be a teacher/mentor/fighter of evil--or with his obvious fondness for young Mr. Potter. And then perhaps all the tiny children who read Harry Potter could see that gay people are just as awesome and normal as (or more awesome and normal than--or maybe I'm just biased) straight people.

But it totally wouldn't have fit into the narrative, because those books are already jam-packed with a million other mostly useless bits of trivia. Anyway, hurrah for the existence of gay wizards. That's what I'm trying to say.

In other news: the Red Sox are awesome. Josh Beckett and I may have to become Mormons so I can marry my other imaginary straight boyfriend, Dustin Pedroia. If I ever write a love song, Dustin, I think I'll write it about you. Also, Kevin Youkilis is amazing, and even if Coco Crisp can't hit, he can make some sweet catches out there in center field. I'm still sad, though, that my imaginary straight ex-boyfriend Trot Nixon was on the wrong team this time. (We had to break up when he moved to Cleveland--the distance was too much. So was the fact that he was no longer on the Red Sox.) His replacement, J.D. Drew, finally earned his keep, though, with that grand slam Saturday night. That was pretty sweet. Not sweet enough for me to like him more than Trot, though. Oh no.

No comments: