October 22, 2007

Tell me an old story

Kelly Clarkson's at the Orpheum tonight, and I'm trying to get excited, but I'm kind of failing. Once again, I must say, "What the fuck, Brandi Carlile?" Seriously, she's ruined all other live performers for me. Also, she totally stole Kelly's place in my heart back in August--I think before I even saw her in Hampton Beach. So at that point, I'd only seen her live once--and Kelly twice--and she just bashed Kelly right off the first place pedestal of Emily's Imaginary Girlfriends. I think I'm kind of blech about this show because at least half of the audience is going to be eight-year-old girls. Out late on a school night! For shame, parents.

Now I'm kind of embarrassed that I, like, loved Kelly Clarkson so much because of the teeny bopper aspect. She's still got an amazing voice, and I still think she's quite beautiful, but at the end of the day, she is a pop star. But why is that bad? What is my problem? The girl puts on a good show, but after the American Idol concert, I'm just kind of cringing in anticipation of all the children flailing around the Orpheum. I have never seen children at the Orpheum. It will be weird. Also, oh my god, eight-year-old girls shriek like there's no tomorrow, and that shit will echo and reverberate all around the theater, and I will want to die. What was I thinking? Though, if I didn't have tickets, I'd be like, "Why didn't I get tickets? What is my problem? How can I miss Kelly Clarkson?"

Okay, so really, what is my problem? I know what my problem is, actually. Starts with b, ends with e, and is two words long.

So obviously, The Story is the album of the year, but at the time that I wrote that thing about My December's being album of the year, I still liked Kelly better than Brandi. Foolish. I'm mostly just mad I forgot about The Story in thinking of other good albums of 2007 that Kelly's could best. I was also all up in a twist, because everyone seemed to be panning Kelly's album, and I totally loved it. Best album to date from this girl. But not better than The Story. I mean, come on.

No comments: