January 7, 2008

Girls 'n sports--have I mentioned that I'm gay?

So I watched the premiere of Cashmere Mafia last night after all the football and another viewing of The Simpsons Movie, because, hello, lesbians! Despite the fact that it looked like a less amusing Sex and the City, and even my brother was like, "Yeah, like this has never been done before" I continued to watch, because I knew for a fact there would be girlkissing in the premiere. And Caitlin, the character who is figuring out she may be gay, is definitely the best character--and Alicia, the girl she falls for, is beautiful. So two very enthusiastic thumbs up for that.

Okay, it took me five years, because I was watching this show going, "That redhead looks...familiar..." And then Allison was like, "I liked Miranda Otto," and I was like, "Which one was she?" And she was like, "The one whose husband was cheating on her." And I was like, "Ohhh." And then five years later I was like, "Miranda...Otto... Fucking shit, Eowyn!" Eowyn should not be being female cuckolded, bitches. She should be chopping off bastards' heads. Or balls. Because the thing is, when the other three decided to sit her down and tell her that one of them had seen her husband making out with some ho on the street, I was like, "Yeah, she already knows." And I was not okay with that. That's not the kind of behavior I will ever support, tolerating your man's infidelity because you're too afraid to be without him. Especially because these women are all rich MBAs. Come on. Juliet (I just remembered her character's name) is perfectly capable of existing without a cheating husband. I will also never support revenge sex, because that's just gross. Caitlin was right when she said, disgusted, "How can you stay with him?" even though she backtracked immediately, because she didn't want to make her friend feel worse. Juliet's speech to her husband, though, at that fancy dinner, had the beginnings of awesomeness, because it made him panic, but when he said, "What can I do? Tell me what to do" or whatever, she should have said, "Pack a fucking bag. You have twenty-four hours to get out of my house." Then it would have been awesome, because that is what he deserves. And I hope that, instead of going through with her revenge sex plan, she, with the support of her three best friends, finds the courage to leave this scumbag. Eowyn would never put up with that kind of behavior, god dammit.

Anyway, it's not really the same as Sex and the City, but the music sounded exactly the goddamn same. And ever since Tom Everett Scott was the good guy in That Thing You Do!, he's been gross in everything else I've seen him in. So, anyway, I think I'll watch it. Mostly for the lesbians. Like always.

Speaking of lesbians, I read the afterellen.com recaps of season 4 of The L-Word (which are brilliant, by the way), and it sounds like it was indeed markedly better than the second and third seasons, and season 5 premiered last night and all, and Jennifer Beals and Laurel Holloman are really pretty, so maybe I can give this show another chance? I just really hate Jenny. A lot. And I'm still bitter about the death of Dana. Like maybe if anyone had spent more than five seconds dealing with it, it would have been okay, but it's like she was never there in the first place. Like she got erased, and no one gives her a second thought. That's not okay. Because Dana was me, y'all. In the very beginning of the first season, when she's all, "I have a thing for this girl, but I can't tell if she's gay, and I can't talk to her" and blahblahblah. That is my life! What is not my life, though, is the fact that the girl was gay and totally into Dana. Sigh.

Speaking of football, Eli Manning never looks like he knows what he's doing, and I don't even remember what happened in the Chargers/Titans game except that the Chargers won, so we play Jacksonville on Saturday. The best game was the Steelers/Jaguars game. That game killed me. What killed me even more, though, was the Buccaneers' stadium, which featured a pirate ship with air cannons that were set off when the Bucs scored--or even got close to scoring. This is the reason that I was upset that they lost--not enough pirate ship air cannon shooting. I clearly must watch more football--except how often would I even get to see a Bucs home game, living in New England? Maybe I should just go to Tampa. I think they even had seats in the pirate ship. That may be even cooler than sitting on the Green Monster.

Despite the fact that I have seen neither of the Terminator movies--Ryan tried to force me to watch T2, but I, like, fell asleep or something--I am contemplating watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles, because Lena Headey is so hot. Right after I saw Imagine Me & You, I was consumed with one of my brief hot 'n heavy girlcrushes. I even watched The Cave, so into her was I. (That movie also featured Piper Perabo! But was exponentially worse than their lesbian movie. I also only like Piper Perabo when she's into girls.) But then that kind of dwindled away (this may or not have coincided with the growing of my crazy Brandi Carlile crush), so that I didn't even see 300 when it finally came out. Is that movie even worth seeing? My brothers love it, which is always a warning sign. The only movies we all seem to agree on are the Judd Apatow films. And I only really liked Superbad, but the others are certainly watchable.

In summary and conclusion: Sarah Connor Chronicles--yea or nay? 300--yea or nay? Lena Headey--as hot as I think she is?

2 comments:

sunnyday04 said...

Hmmm.... so would you recommend Cashmere Mafia to me? I watched Desperate Housewives last night, because well.. I am a fan after all. And, I saw that Cashmere would be airing immediately afterwards. But, I wasn't particularly interested, so I passed. I will always give a a new show a shot or two, so maybe I'll try and catch the next episode. I'm not really a fan of Lucy Liu... although I did love her and everyone else in Kill Bill.

Speaking of lesbian shows. I watched a couple more episodes of the "L Word" bringing the grand total to five. I still don't think it's very good, but if I was forced to watch more episodes I think I would survive. So, I might *MIGHT* try and watch some of season 5. We'll see. I still think that the characters are too damn dramatic and emotional for their own good. I hate people like that. I think they all need an injection of wit, with the exception of Alice...who does say some funny things every now and then.

As for football. I didn't watch the playoff games yesterday, because I cannot say I had too much interest in any of the teams. But, if you are for some reason a fan of the Chargers, I can pull for them! You say they are playing Jacksonville next game, which happens to be the Texans rival. More reason for me to cheer for San Diego. The Texans actually beat Jacksonville handedly in the last game of the season, and we are not so good. I'm so tired of the damn NFL and my teams never doing well. Although the Seahawks are still in... who are one of the three teams I follow.

And finally... as to the Terminator shit. There are actually three movies, proof that maybe you shouldn't be watching the new show :P I have never seen one of those films either, but I don't think it's a secret that I hate action movies more than anything. Action and Sci-Fi are really not my thing...and this is an amalgam of the two genres. Bah. I don't know what this Lena Heady looks like, and care so little that I'm not even going to look her up. I don't want any excuse to watch this show.... even if it is the only show with new fucking episodes on television!

So. Sarah Connor Chronicles: nay

Just watch Brandi Carlile videos on youtube, because we all know she is way more deserving.

Booknerd said...

Well, I think I will only recommend Cashmere Mafia because it's one of the only scripted shows on the air right now. If there was better crap on, I'd say, eh. But if you find yourself stuck for something to watch on Wednesdays (I think that's its actual time slot), go for it. Lucy Liu is always a joy to watch--even if it is better when she's slicing people's head off.

I believe I may have confused you: when I said "we," I meant "the Patriots," so the Patriots are playing Jacksonville on Saturday (and if Tennessee had beat San Diego, the Patriots would be playing Tennessee, and the Jaguars would be playing the Colts, so since that didn't happen, the Chargers are playing the Colts. I think. Football playoffs confuse me). I can't believe I even said that, because I hate when people say "we," like they're on the team too or something, but I can't take it back now, can I? Anyway, yeah, I only care about local sports teams. And now the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with their pirate ship. Of course, now I'll have to wait for next season for some of that action.

I know everyone hates the Patriots, so I won't ask you to pull for them. But feel free, if you hate the Jaguars that much!

And don't force yourself to watch The L-Word, dude. It's not worth it if you're not drooling over any of the girls, because the characters are indeed too dramatic. And self-involved. Why don't you stick to Brandi Carlile youtube videos your own self?

Oh, and you're right: I totally, totally forgot the third Terminator movie--and it had Claire Danes in it. I love Claire Danes. But I agree: action movies suck, and I doubt I could have sustained interest in an action serial even back when my flame for Lena Headey was burning bright. (She's still hot, though.)