January 17, 2008

Let's go to the beach tonight with a bottle of wine

Oh my god, tv sucked last night. First, Kit Pistol got booted from the runway totally unfairly. I hate Ricky. I was totally gutted, just like when Allison got booted last year. Then I was, like, "Uh, it's just a reality television program. Get over it." But still! I was sad. Kit was the only one I loved. She was my Allison and my Uli, and now she's gone.

Second, still not enough Caitlin on Cashmere Mafia and not nearly enough lesbian action. And next week she meets a guy! Why do I bother?

I think I want to go to the beach tonight. It's supposed to snow, but not till after midnight I think. Still, I haven't been up there this winter, and my toes need a good dose of frostbite. I wanted to go with Mike, but he has class tonight. School ruins everything. However! I did get to make a new playlist for this pilgrimage. Behold:

Solitary winter beach jaunt mix:
1. You Turn Me On I'm a Radio - Joni Mitchell
2. Have You Ever - Brandi Carlile
3. The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
4. And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles
5. Supernova - Liz Phair
6. Little Perennials - Indigo Girls
7. Carbon Monoxide - Cake
8. Bang Bang - Dispatch
9. Surf Wax America - Weezer
10. Rebel Prince - Rufus Wainwright
11. Toes - Norah Jones
12. There's a Girl - The Ditty Bops
13. Midnight Train to Georgia - The Cast of 30 Rock
14. All I Want Is You - Barry Louis Polisar
15. Hotel Song - Regina Spektor
16. Troubled Times - Fountains of Wayne
17. Fairytale - Sarah Bareilles
18. Can I Have a Kiss - Kelly Clarkson
19. Black Wave - The Shins
20. Gonna Make You Love Me - Ryan Adams
21. Chordless - Jess Kaps
22. Blood Roses - Tori Amos
23. Spider Pig - Hans Zimmer
24. No creo - Shakira
25. Kathleen - Josh Ritter
26. Better Son/Daughter - Rilo Kiley
27. Fairy Godmother Song - Jennifer Saunders
28. The Luckiest - Ben Folds
29. Wading in the Velvet Sea - Phish
30. Melissa - The Allman Brothers Band
31. Doth I Protest Too Much - Alanis Morissette
32. Tenderly - Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem
33. Comfortable - John Mayer
34. You're Pretty Good Looking (for a Girl) - The White Stripes
35. Every Day I Love You Less and Less - Kaiser Chiefs
36. Handle with Care - Jenny Lewis
37. On My Way - Ben Kweller
38. Paper Bag - Fiona Apple
39. My Guitar - Jump, Little Children
40. Red Oyster Cult - Guster
41. Friend of the Devil - Counting Crows
42. Last of Days - A Fine Frenzy
43. Garden of Delights - Lisa Loeb

That should last me. Half of the point of going on a roadtrip is picking out the music to go with you. I know this is a lame roadtrip, but I love the beach at night, and I love the beach in the winter, and I am done with watching tv at night. Bah.

Last night I had a dream about the stupid girl I have a hopeless crush on these days, and it was so weird, because it involved my grandparents living in an apartment at the end of the mall by JC Penney, except JC Penney is in the middle of the mall, and Bath & Body Works looked all wrong, and I left one of my shoes behind in my grandparents' apartment (just one) and had to go back to get it. But as we were walking to work, the girl took my hand, and I was just happy. I hate waking up from dreams like that. I don't know if the girl even still works at Bath & Body Works; I haven't seen her in two weeks. Sigh.

I got bit by a list-making bug, so just in case any of you out there in the internet were curious, here are my ten favorite books, ever, at this moment:
1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
2. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
4. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
5. A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle
6. Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
7. The Cider House Rules by John Irving
8. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
9. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkein
10. The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Almost made the list:
Spindle's End by Robin McKinley
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende


I am so excited for Prince Caspian I can't even tell you. I love this shit. There are barely any blatant Christian themes in this one, but Susan is such a pill in the book it makes me sad. I can't see a way around "everyone sees the lion but Susan the pill and Trumpkin the skeptic," but I think the movie lets her redeem herself, which the book does not. I love The Chronicles of Narnia, but I have so many issues with the books. Maybe that's part of the reason I love it--you know I love to pick things apart, and there is ample ammo for bitching in these seven books.

No comments: