January 29, 2008

Skip this one

Let's talk about something I discovered today: ItsDeductible tax-related software, from Intuit. It's bundled into TurboTax or something, but whatever--that's not the point. I don't care to discuss this product as a product; I want to talk about its name. First of all, what is up with shoving two words together to make one word? I find this convention ridiculously stupid, and it is all over the software world. Second--and this is my real problem--the apostrophe in it's has been eliminated. The way this is written, you're left waiting for the conclusion. Its deductible what? Donations? Socks? Coffee filters? WHAT? Here, this is what I mean: "He filed the company's taxes; he should have been aware of its deductible charitable donations." What Intuit means, though, is "it is deductible"--it's some tool that helps you keep track of your donations for tax-filing time. But that's not what the name actually says. Boo.

Um, sorry for that boringness, but that name really bugged the shit out of me. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, in all of the apostrophe abuse I've been seeing everywhere these days. The apostrophe is my pet punctuation cause, because people abuse it and discard it so carelessly.

Okay, so I am a whackjob, getting all worked about the helpless apostrophe like it's an abandoned kitten, but this is why I'm a professional proofreader, people.

G-d damn it, these stupid bags of chocolate gelt are so hard to get open. Never mind peeling the foil off of them.

I know I've talked about this before, but seriously, you guys. I hate Pink. Hate herrrr. That stupid song that I totally can't think of the name of right now, but is not the one about telling the guy the only action he's gonna get tonight is from Handgela, was on the Semi-Annual Sale CD at the good old BBW, so I had to listen to it all the time. It's a terrible song! Horrible! Someone kill it! "Big Girls Don't Cry" was also on that CD, and I wanted to die every time I heard it. I don't know what happened to that after hours CD that had Kelly, Regina, and Brandi on it, but I really wish we could just play that all the time. There was no Fergie on that one. There might have been Pink, though. Small price to pay to be able to belt "The Story" at work.

No comments: