January 10, 2008

A vision of the everchanging view

So I watched Project Runway when it aired last night because, thanks to Kaeli, we got out of work early, but I wasn't really paying attention. Maybe because I hate prom dresses. And girls in high school. And Christian. Of course he thinks prom is tacky and awful. (It is, but whatever.)

Of course Kevin had that floppy surfer boy haircut when he was in high school.

Of course Sweet P went to Catholic school.

Of course Chris is a drag queen. Of course! Even though I kind of hate drag queens, it all makes sense for him. And those costumes were quite something to behold.

Of course they kept shit-stirrer Christian over actually-talented Kevin. Have you seen this show (or any reality competition program) before? Do you remember when Santino's outfit for Kara was falling apart on then runway, but they still sent Uncle Nick home? Not that I really care about Kevin, and Christian seems somewhat more self-aware than I gave him credit for, but that dress was a mess. Well, so was Kevin's.

Where the hell was Kit Pistol? I don't like how she's fading into the middle of the pack. What even did her dress look like? Her prom picture frightened me, because she looked so normal, and she was a "prom princess," whatever that is. Is that like runner up to prom queen? I don't know if we even did a prom queen/king thing at my high school. That reminds me! I have a story to tell about Carrie. But that'll be later. I did enjoy how she said she'd be prom king, and Chris could be prom queen. She's the greatest.

I loved how Christian was like, "I was best dressed at my prom," and Chris was like, "According to you? Or did you actually vote on it?" (I think it was Chris. Whoever it was, hooray for you! That was hilarious.)

Jillian said something funny (but I can't remember what it was), and I was like, "Finally!" Maybe now I can like her for real. Even though I don't remember what she said. Maybe next week she'll finally be awesome. She's getting close.

The one thing that made me crazy was that Tim Gunn had to be all, "Don't give up, Christian, come on." Like you would expect anything other from the master teacher, but seriously, Christian, you're a grown man (even if you don't look like one). Don't act like such a baby. And don't blame your issues on that child you were working with. If your dress is fug, it's your own fault. However, I'll cut you a little bit of slack, because being on reality television cannot be easy, and it's the people who don't have meltdowns of some kind who frighten me.

Okay, so anyway, I was out with some Bath & Body Works people the other night, and I made some reference to Carrie, and both of them were like, "Whuh?" And I was like, "You know, Carrie, the movie?" And one of them was like, "Is that the one with the pig's blood?" And I was like, "Yeah." Come on! How can you not know Carrie? I hate horror films and Stephen King, but Carrie is amazing. Even if you haven't seen it, you should just, like, know it, because it is an important pop culture film.

Wait! Maybe not everyone on earth is a pop culture nerd? Just me and my nerdy friends? I refuse to believe it.

So I got to see Katy and Jess last Friday, which was awesome, because I hadn't seen either of them in a year, and they were two of my best friends in high school, and it was good just to hang out with them again. Anyway, Jess recommended a book to me, and I was like, "Oh yeah! I forgot I have a friend who reads for fun!" (That is sad, how out of touch I've fallen with these people, but whatever. I'm working on it.) Also, Jess and I were never reading the same books at the same time, so we never really had a discussion about them, except that one New Year's Eve at Josh's house where we had a brilliant, slightly drunken conversation about Like Water for Chocolate. So, anyway, I got so excited that I ran out to Borders last night in between jobs and bought it: Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. I've only read the first chapter, and I already love it. The book is set up like an intro to lit syllabus; the table of contents is titled "Required Reading," and each chapter is a work of literature. There are thirty-two chapters, and I have only read ten of the works (two of them are Shakespeare plays). That made me immeasurably sad, because they're all English-major type works. Of course one of them is one of the myriad Charles Dickens books I haven't read. Which ones have I read, you ask? A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations, Hard Times, A Tale of Two Cities, and Our Mutual Friend. I have a theory about why I hate Charles Dickens other than the overriding "I hate everything written in the 19th century except things that were written by Louisa May Alcott and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and maybe The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," but that is another story and shall be told another time. At least I won't have a shortage of books to read. Ever.

No comments: