December 3, 2007

Another book crisis

I think I've said this before, but Madeleine L'Engle is my favorite author--she has been since I was about ten, and even though she's rather spiritual, and I've become disenchanted with Christianity, her writing is not exclusionary or proselytizing in the least, and I can actually get behind her religious views sometimes, even if I'll never really share them. Plus, as I've also said before, she was an Episcopalian--so was I until I went all heathenish. Anyway, I've been rolling this around in my head for months: she includes some gay characters in her novels, and while the portrayal is ultimately positive, there's always something ugly that, like, has the possibility to cancel out the good things. For example, in A House Like a Lotus, Polly's mentor Max is a lesbian, but towards the end of the novel, we discover that Polly, like, ran away to Greece after Max possibly tried to rape her (this is a simplification--I think she was supposed to go to Greece anyway, and I think Max even paid for the trip, but whatever), and poor Polly spends the entirety of her time traveling trying to reconcile this one ugly happening with the woman she'd come to love and admire. Now, Max is dying of some painful, wasting disease, so she wasn't in her right mind when she attacked Polly, and Polly ultimately comes to terms with this at the end and calls home to talk to her, but feh. It gives me the heebes.

Next: in A Live Coal in the Sea, Mac catches his pops taking it up the butt from the parish pastor when he's, like, eight, and it rocks his parents' marriage and his relationship with his father, and when his mother is telling Camilla this, she says that Mac's grandfather abused Art when he was a kid, and maybe that's why he was susceptible to the pastor's advances--or something--and it's all sodomy is bad, kids. But then one of Mac's elementary school teachers turns out to be gay and a wonderful guy, so he shows Mac's mom--and Mac--that gay people are just as capable of loving, fulfilling relationships as straight people. So hurrah for that. But why the priest raping to balance that out? Although, now that I'm thinking about it, Madeleine's whole thing is good vs. evil, light vs. dark--everything has a counterpart, but I guess I'm just stuck on the gay part, because, you know, gay people aren't often fairly and accurately portrayed in media. And it would really kill me if my favorite author had an issue with us. I don't know. Ultimately, I think Madeleine loves the gays--because they are ultimately positive characters in her novels.

And speaking of gay crises (but on a much more superficial level), is it weird that I found most of the male models on last week's Runway more attractive than the regular girl models?

My scarf reeks of something from Bath & Body Works, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It's driving me bazoo.

No comments: