December 17, 2007

Battle of the Bands IX

So I actually finished this on Wednesday, but I haven't gotten around to posting it. I know you were all eagerly awaiting the conclusion. Whatever. I need things to be finished, dammit.

T
“Thirteen”: Ben Kweller vs. Big Star
The Decision: This Big Star song is another Gilmore Girls track, and by now I’m sure you know how I feel about Ben.
Winner: Ben Kweller

“Too Much”: Dave Matthews Band vs. Spice Girls
The Decision: This was my least favorite Dave Matthews song back when I liked them a lot more than I do now. And this is my second favorite Spice Girls song. (Bet you can’t guess my first favorite!)
Winner: Spice Girls

“Trouble”: Shawn Colvin vs. Dave Matthews
The Decision: I love Shawn Colvin. I bought this album, A Few Small Repairs, when “Sunny Came Home” was all over the radio (a song about arson! awesome!), and I fairly wore it out. Ten years later, it’s still awesome. Um, sorry, Dave.
Winner: Shawn Colvin

“Turn It Up”: Blur vs. Save Ferris
The Decision: Has Blur even won one of these? Well, the sympathy vote will not fly here. Especially since I love geeking out to this Save Ferris song.
Winner: Save Ferris

“29”: Ryan Adams vs. Gin Blossoms
The Decision: I don’t know if I’m having a brain stroke or something, but this Ryan Adams sounds like “Truckin’.” To me. So it wins! (Bet you didn’t know I was an amateur Dead Head—why would you, what with all the Spice Girls strewn about here?)
Winner: Ryan Adams

U
“Until I Die”: Brandi Carlile vs. Ben Kweller
The Decision: You know by now that both Ben and Brandi almost always get free passes from me, because I love them so, but I love Brandi the best. And I definitely love this song better, because of this: “Run, run, run/catch me if you can, can, can/come and hold my hand/and I’ll be your biggest fan.” Ben can’t top that.
Winner: Brandi Carlile

W
“Wait”: The Beatles vs. Sarah McLachlan vs. Get Set Go
The Decision: Rubber Soul might be my favorite Beatles album, so they’re the heavy favorites in this match-up, but this Get Set Go song (from the Grey’s soundtrack) is getting to me. Oh, come on. They’re The Beatles.
Winner: The Beatles

“Wake Up”: The Ditty Bops vs. Alanis Morisette
The Decision: I said it would take a really good song to best any of the offerings on Jagged Little Pill (except “Ironic”—I hate that song), and The Ditty Bops probably came the closest out of everyone, but…
Winner: Alanis Morissette

“What You Are”: Dave Matthews Band vs. Drill
The Decision: More and more, I’m wondering why I still have all these Dave Matthews albums. There are still songs I like, but I don’t need to have everything anymore. That obsession is so over. And this Drill song is from Empire Records. Come on. How can you beat that? (If you don’t like Empire Records, you’re not my friend.)
Winner: Drill

“Why”: Melanie C. vs. Annie Lennox
The Decision: Okay, I have no shame in saying I love Sporty Spice, but this song is just bad. Baaaad.
Winner: Annie Lennox

“Window”: Guster vs. Fiona Apple
The Decision: Hot damn, I listened to this Guster song without even hearing it. And I do adore Fiona’s latest album. Sorry, boys.
Winner: Fiona Apple

“Wishful Thinking”: The Ditty Bops vs. Wilco
The Decision: Well, just this once, Wilco, I don’t like this song so much. And The Ditty Bops need to redeem themselves after getting slammed by Alanis.
Winner: The Ditty Bops

“Wonderland”: Collapsis vs. Dexter Freebish
The Decision: I only ever listened to this Dexter Freebish album, because Mike said they were his favorite band in high school. And I only bought this Collapsis album because they had a song on the first season of Roswell, but the Collapsis album turned out to be pretty good. Who knew.
Winner: Collapsis

Well, that's it. As Jess (or her brother?) might say, thanks for playin'!

No comments: