December 10, 2007

Battle of the Bands VIII

Letter S today, folks.

S
“Santa Fe”: Newsies vs. Rent
The Decision: Aw, battle of the musicals! I have to give this one, though, to the song I had stuck in my head the entire time I was actually in Santa Fe.
Winner: Rent

“Satellite”: Guster vs. Dave Matthews Band vs. Anna Nalick
The Decision: Even when I was kind of obsessed with the Dave Matthews Band, I never liked this song, really. And I do adore Guster. And Anna Nalick is basically a non-entity to me.
Winner: Guster

“Saturday Night”: Kaiser Chiefs vs. Ta-Gana
The Decision: Well, obviously. This Ta-Gana monstrosity is for some reason included on the 10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack, and I would rather not discuss the reasons I own that right now. Let’s just keep this short.
Winner: Kaiser Chiefs

“Shine”: Trey Anastasio vs. Carbon Leaf vs. Imogen Heap vs. Joni Mitchell
The Decision: Trey is instantly disqualified for being the lead singer of Phish and yet somehow letting this song be on a Bath & Body Works store CD (and thus ruining any chance for me to even like it a little bit). Next bitch! I do not like this Carbon Leaf song, I’ve decided. I do like this Imogen Heap song, and this Joni Mitchell song is so brand spanking new I haven’t decided what I think about it yet. I might have to listen to both of them again. Well, it was tough, but one girl had to win, eh?
Winner: Joni Mitchell

“Silver Lining”: David Gray vs. Rilo Kiley
The Decision: This song is the reason I kept this David Gray album in the iTunes library, but I can’t get enough of this Rilo Kiley song. When this album came out, it was the only song that managed to break through the “all Brandi Carlile, all the time” thing I had going. If you don’t realize what a big deal that is, you clearly haven’t been reading this blog. At all.
Winner: Rilo Kiley

“Sleep”: Imogen Heap vs. Phish
The Decision: I like this Imogen Heap song more than I realized. Sorry, Phish. I feel like you’re taking kind of a beating in this.
Winner: Imogen Heap

“Smile”: Grant-Lee Phillips vs. Weezer
The Decision: Oh, Weezer. I haven’t been listening to them lately, and I miss them. This is what happens when you get obsessed with some girl from Washington. You start neglecting the other bands you love. This other song is from Gilmore Girls, so it’s good, but I have no emotional attachment to it.
Winner: Weezer

“So Long”: Guster vs. Rilo Kiley
The Decision: Well, as much as I love Rilo Kiley, this is my very favorite Guster song.
Winner: Guster

“Someone Else’s Song”: Lifehouse vs. Wilco
The Decision: Well, I really liked this Lifehouse song in high school, and I really liked this Wilco song in college. Hmm.
Winner: Wilco

“Something”: The Beatles vs. Shakira
The Decision: Oh, how ridiculed would I be if I said Shakira was better than the Beatles? I’m not an idiot, you know.
Winner: The Beatles

“Stay”: Jorane vs. Lisa Loeb
The Decision: Battle of the Girly Sounds radio show staples! This has never been my fave Lisa song because it’s the only one they played on the radio. And they played it all the time. That really does ruin music for me. And this Jorane bitch plays the cello.
Winner: Jorane

“Stay Away”: Nirvana vs. Rooney
The Decision: I think it’s a rule in this thing that if you’re a band from Seattle, it’s going to be nigh impossible to beat you, and Rooney, you are no Jenny Lewis or Ben Folds.
Winner: Nirvana

“Sunday Morning”: Ani DiFranco vs. No Doubt
The Decision: Well, this is the best No Doubt song of all time. Sorry, Ani.
Winner: No Doubt

No comments: