December 24, 2007

Kiss her once for me

Isn't Christmas Eve always the most boring day of the year, even after you've outgrown your crazy Christmas anticipation?

I finished Spindle's End last night, and it was quite possibly the best book not written by Philip Pullman I have read all year. The only thing I have a problem with seems to be a common theme in McKinley's stories: the heroine falls in love with a dude practically old enough to be her father. I hate that shit! But whatever. I can overlook at it, especially since she didn't end up marrying the prince--or even going back the royal city to be princess and then queen. That was the other awesome thing about this book, in McKinley's made-up land, the crown passes to the firstborn child regardless of gender. Love it.

A few weeks ago, Jess got all het up because Seth wouldn't say he hates the Colts. I don't give a crap about the Colts, but I said I'd hate them if that's what I needed to do in order to secure an invite to her playoffs barter. She was all, "How can you not hate the Colts? They're the Yankees of football!" And I just did not have the heart to tell her that the Patriots are the Yankees of football these days. She would have thrown a fit. I really don't understand why the Patriots are the Yankees of football, other than the simple fact that New England fans are douchebags. It makes me so sad, you guys, to be lumped in with these maniacs, because I love the Red Sox and the Patriots. The Celtics, I can take or leave, because NBA basketball games do nothing for me. That time I got to watch two games of the NCAA tournament in Syracuse was way more fun than any of the Celtics games I've attended. But anyway. Why are New Englanders such assholes? Actually, let's be real. It's the fans from Massachusetts. Clearly, they're the assholes. Those of us from New Hampshire and Maine are totally cool. Rhode Islanders also have a tendency to be assholes, even though I love that place like it's my second home--which it is. It's the only other state in the country in which I have lived. It's where I was born! But New Hampshire is my real home. And people in Vermont and Connecticut seem to be New York fans. So whatever. And I've gotten off the subject again. Can I just tell you how much I hate all this "Yankees suck" business? Who cares about the Yankees??? Boston won the World Series! And they did not beat the Yankees in the World Series! Because that is impossible! I could understand it a little bit in 2004, what with that crazy comeback to steal the Yankees' spot in the World Series, but this year the Yankees had nothing to do with anything. Why can't you love the Red Sox without being an obnoxious Yankee hater? Why do you yell "Yankees suck!" at Gillette Stadium? Blarf. So these douchebag Red Sox fans are also, naturally, Pats fans, and that's why the rest of the country hates the Patriots. Right? And maybe Bill Belichick? I'm not a fan either, him in his Flashdance sweatshirt, but how can you not love Randy Moss? And Tedy Bruschi? (I can understand how you can not love Tom Brady--is he the reason everyone hates the Patriots?)

Anyway, chill the eff out, New England (read: Massachusetts). New England sports is awesome this year; take pride in that without rubbing it in other people's faces. Is that so hard? (Um, sorry, Bruins, but the only hockey I've ever watched was in Disney films. I know nothing about you.)

Oh, oh! And beautiful human of the week, my very good friend Allison, read last night's entry and sent me a link to this list: afterellen.com's list of 100 hot famous women, and nearly all of my crushes are on this list! Tina Fey is number seven! That makes me feel much better, that I apparently do have gay taste in girls. Phew. And then she sent me this list that is even better: hot girls in glasses. And some beautiful human left pictures in the comments of my girl Kelly Clarkson in a pair of specs. Adorable. I didn't even know girl wore glasses. (What kind of obsessed fan am I?) I also really like the picture of Sandra Oh in glasses, even if she is wearing a dumb newsboy cap.

No comments: