December 9, 2007

Maybe I am learning?

Well, that last post was barely articulate, huh? And perhaps I overreacted. The Neverending Story is a way worse adaptation, for real. How about I list a few things I liked about the movie, then?

The opening scene with Lyra, Roger, and the gyptian children. Lyra's story about the robe and showing how seriously these kids seem to take their wars were brilliant.

The spyfly scene: just as good as it was in the book. Suck on that, Marisa.

The environment the movie created was beautiful. I loved all the various vehicles, especially Lee's airship.

Hester. I fucking love Hester, and even though she was in the movie for five seconds, she was awesome.

Freddie Highmore did a perfect Pan voice. I kind of love this kid.

Serafina Pekkala sure was purty--and deadly. I have such a weakness for archers.

Sam Elliott is almost exactly as I pictured Lee.

I totally love the guy they picked to be Farder Coram. John Faa and Ma Costa were also well cast.

Oh! Here's something amazing: something I think the movie improved! When Lyra destroys Bolvangar in the book, she sets some flour on fire on the gas stove. In the movie, she makes the intercission machine explode. That was pretty badass--way more badass than setting flour on fire.

Here's something I couldn't stand in the movie: why on earth did Mrs. Coulter just come out and tell Lyra about the bear king's wanting a daemon? Explain that to me. No, really, do, because I can't figure it out.

More The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife spoilers for you now:

Also, forget the fact that I just can't stand the end of the movie the way it is; I still don't understand how we're going to go from the Roger's death and Asriel and Marisa's reunion to Will in our London. There's no transition for that; that's why a whole new novel starts when we go to Will in London. The bridge can't be the transition, because it takes Asriel to his world and Lyra to Cittagazze. And Will doesn't tell Lyra anything about him--and the only thing the alethiometer tells her is that he's a murderer. (I love that, too, how she's, like, "Sweet. He's a murderer, just like my pops and Iorek Byrnison. No worries, then.") But I suppose the alethiometer could tell her more in the movie--and I suppose I would have to throw a fit about that. [end spoilers]

Mike kind of convinced me to, like, hold out hope for the other movies, but I hear that this movie is kind of tanking at the box office, so will they even make the other movies? And if they do, how will they deal with the religion thing? Satisfactorily? Doubtful. Sigh.

In a totally unrelated note, why would you cheat on Emma Thompson? That storyline of Love Actually always makes me so upset. Thank god Keira Knightley, Colin Firth, and Liam Neason's stepson are so cute.

2 comments:

sunnyday04 said...

I'm not sure how interested you are in such things, but for some reason this movie/book war that this adaptation has caused has captured my interest. I can't wait to finish the book so that I can objectively compare the two. As it stands right now, I actually liked the ending of the film. In my case, it did leave me wanting more. I am interested to know what happens next. However, as you noted in your post, box office returns haven't been as strong as anticipated.... at all! It was a big budget film (obviously) and I think this weekend's domestic gross was under 30 million. Not so good. This was part of a Q&A with the director:
At what point do you start working on the next one? How far along is the script?

ANSWER:
The first draft of the script for “The Subtle Knife” is completed. It was written by Hossein Amini, an Oscar-nominated screenwriter in whom I have a great deal of faith. There simply wasn’t time for me to finish “The Golden Compass” and get the script of “Subtle Knife” ready in time. In that sense, work has already begun. But in fact, the nuts-and-bolts part of the making of the films to follow is a question of capital flow. Films like this are huge machines, which take a lot to get rolling. The contracts are in place for the cast to come back, all it will take is a successful debut of “The Golden Compass” for preproduction to begin.
---

So, um... maybe there won't be another after all? I think that would be a mistake, but then again from what I've read about the next two books I don't see how they could avoid serious controversy due to the subject matter. Crazy religious freaks.

Booknerd said...

You know, you're like my hero these days, doing all this movie research so I don't have to. First I was all, "Hey, wait! How did Philip Pullman allow the ending to be that drastically changed? That can't be!" and then I was just wondering if they'd even put anything into place for The Subtle Knife, and you have answers for both my questions. I really hope they don't give up on this trilogy. It could get better, I think. And I am dying to see how they work out The Subtle Knife, what with it having to begin with the end of The Golden Compass and all.

I am also dying for you to finish the book, because if you want to know what happens next now... Christ, just wait till you get till the real end of the first part. It is that drastic a difference from the movie, I promise. No one I know will read the book, the bastards. But I guess I can either have friends who will let me drag them to Brandi concerts or friends who will read.

Also, crazy religious freaks, indeed. I don't know why people get so effing uptight when other people don't agree with their world views. And I don't know, but it seems to me that Philip Pullman wasn't so much slamming religion as he was slamming dogmatism and the stifling (by organized religion) of free thinking.