December 12, 2007

The moon is just half full

I am mad and sad. Mostly sad. Brandi's playing a buncha more shows in December and January, all over the country, and none of them are anywhere near me. Wah. And I imagine she'll be playing "The Heartache Can Wait" at the December shows, and I'd kind of kill to hear that live. Although, I think the December shows are all, like, multi-act shows, so she gets the stage for half an hour. What a rip. She deserves so much more than half an hour. I keep saying "she," but really I mean "they," because she's got those boys with her all the time, and they help make sure the concerts are at their awesomest. Still, I would totally go to hear Brandi and the boys for half an hour, if these shows weren't on the other damn side of the country.

I just realized that my phone must have deleted the only voicemail I've ever saved, Jess's call from the Copley concert, and that made me sad. I was at work, and she called me during "The Story," and the message started right at "swam all across the ocean blue," which is the part of the song I fucking love, almost as much as the final "all of these lines" freakout, and the quality was for shit, but I could never listen to that message and not be in a good mood. But I'd forgotten it for a while, and now it's gone. Double sigh.

Oh, that makes me remember: in the recording of "The Times They Are A-Changin'" from the Avalon, her voice breaks on the word just in the line "just as the present will soon be the past," and it gets me every time. I love it when she does that. And Allison told me that the CDs of the Burlington concert I burned for her are on permanent rotation, so hooray for that, because it is totally my crazy influence that made her like Brandi Carlile in the first place. Everyone needs live Brandi in their lives--and I need more. Dammit. Especially since I cannot afford Spice Girls tickets.

I am so greedy. And crazy. But I can't help it. I feel deprived. I think what I really need, first and foremost, is a nap.

You know, I'd kind of written off those Counting Crows songs that got played to death on the stupid radio, like "Mr. Jones" and "A Long December," but I realized that "A Long December" has this one awesome line in it that my made my heart catch when I really heard it, for some reason: "All at once you look across a crowded room to see the way that light attaches to a girl." Killed me.

No comments: