December 5, 2007

Geektastic!

I don't think I can even begin to tell you how happy it makes me the iTunes will organize albums by the year they were released, so I won't try. But seriously. It makes me so happy.

Long ago, I downloaded a beautiful program for mp3 editing so I could separate "Hiding My Heart" from "Again Today" and listen to it over and over again. Then I did it for the millions of other songs I have with secret songs at the end of them, although the only ones I can think of now are that a capella song at the end of Jagged Little Pill and the song attached to "Let Me In." Which reminds me! I should separate "Big Yellow Taxi" from "Holiday in Spain." I loved the Counting Crows' cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" until they wouldn't stop playing it on the radio. So thank god, y'all, that Brandi Carlile never gets any radio airplay anywhere in the greater Boston area, or else I might hate "The Story." BOS and the River used to play her, but I don't think they do at all anymore.

I almost forgot how much I love Margaret Cho until the other night when Carlos sent me the best text message of December 2007: "Have you come down with beaver fever?" This morning, he sent over, "I can't come when you fuck me!" which is really only funny if you've heard her say it. So I sent back "Do I have to EAT YOUR ASS to get you to mow the lawn?" How wildly inappropriate. Love it. I want to rush home and watch all her DVDs, but (maybe you heard?) I have to effing work tonight.

I have more reservations than I can tell you about this Prince Caspian film, but I just watched the trailer for it, and holy shit, it looks amazing. They clearly, clearly had their way with it to make it more exciting, but I don't know that I even care, because those four kids are the most perfect Pevensies, y'all, and Walden Media has done the best job ever of creating the world of Narnia. I am still mad that Caspian is twenty-five and swarthy, that Susan is apparently fighting in battles, and that there even is a battle in the first place, but whatever. It is sure to at least be entertaining. And if a movie ever did everything the way it was supposed to, what ever would I talk about?

Now, let's talk about this issue some more: the girls, Susan especially, participating in the fighting. On the one hand, I do enjoy that they're getting a bigger part in the story, but on the other, they don't fight, dude. Susan never fights in her life, and Lucy doesn't until she's much older, when she goes with Edmund to Archenland to defeat the invading Calormenes. But that's, like, the only positive character trait C.S. Lewis gives to Susan: she hates violence and killing--and the rotter here, y'all, is that he doesn't even spin it positively--he implies that it makes her weak and possibly even vain, when I, now, find much to be admired in the fact that she won't shoot to kill, despite her skill with a bow. Okay, everything else I want to say I have said before, so I'll just shut up now.

No comments: