November 27, 2007

Battle of the Bands I

So I have about a bazillion songs with the same exact title—by different artists, you know? As I was noticing this, I decided to make a list of all of them and have a little showdown to pick which artist has the better song with the same name. So it’s not like a battle of who does the best cover, but who has the best song, because the songs are completely different except for the title.

Um, I hope that entirely convoluted explanation made some sense. Anyway, here are the songs that begin with A.

A
“Act Naturally”: The Beatles vs. Semisonic
The Decision: I don’t think I’m really thrilled about either of these songs, so in that case, The Beatles win. Because they’re The Beatles. And, also, their song is better, because this Semisonic song kind of sucks.
Winner: The Beatles

“All at Once”: The Fray vs. Pete Yorn
The Decision: This is one of the only songs from The Fray that I still like, but I think I’ve gotta give this one to Pete. I really love the chorus to this one.
Winner: Pete Yorn

“Alright”: Brandi Carlile vs. Kinnie Starr vs. Supergrass
The Decision: This one is a no-brainer, because Brandi’s “Alright” is about getting drunk and taking some random girl home, which is really not something I’d expect from her, but it is awesome. “I think that I might stay for a while or just a drink or four and see where this might go.” I do love that Supergrass song, though, as it is featured in Clueless--the scene where Cher’s taking pictures of her rich friends by the fountain, trying to get Tai and Elton closer together.
Winner: Brandi Carlile

“Amen”: Jewel vs. Josh Kelley
The Decision: I know this Jewel song better than Josh Kelley’s, and I still find Jewel’s really raw and beautiful, so…sorry, Josh.
Winner: Jewel

“American Girls”: Counting Crows vs. Homie, with Rivers Cuomo
The Decision: This one is tough, because Dana introduced me to the Homie & Rivers song, and I loved it for pretty much my entire freshman year of college, but I may have overplayed it. And I do love this Counting Crows offering… Tough, tough call.
Winner: Homie with Rivers Cuomo

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm embarrassed...I once called myself a Brandi fan, but I don't know this song of hers you mention: Alright. Where did you find it?

Booknerd said...

It's one of her unreleased songs which I found by obsessively combing the internet, so of course I have no idea where I found it. Sorry!

Unknown said...

I don't suppose you'd share an mp3? I know, it doesn't seem fair because you did all the investigative work on the Internet. You could tell me "No way, you mooch!" and I'd completely understand. I'd cry, sure, but I'd understand. Just kidding. I wouldn't cry.

Booknerd said...

Hey, sure. Get me an email address, and I'll shoot you the mp3 when I get home from work. (Just don't tell anyone else!)

Unknown said...

You're so very kind. Do you know about the new Brandi song that is available at the fan site: http://againtoday.com/?

I'm hoping you don't, because then I'll feel as if my little tidbit can serve as a thanks. Only warning: the song starts playing automatically when you go to the web page.

thanks again...you're a rockstar...my lips are sealed

Booknerd said...

Aw, I appreciate the thought, but I'm what some may call obsessed, so I was all over the new Brandi song two days ago.

So. Where shall I send your mp3?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I had a feeling you were hooked up with the fan forum. sigh. Ah, my address, silly me: mdwster@gmail.com.

Did I mention: Thanks!