November 27, 2007

Maybe Christmas doesn't come from the store

O to the m to the g, y'all, I am so glad I finally saw the runway portion of the Sarah Jessica Parker episode, because it featured my fave thing! Elisa saying, "I'm coming to your planet, but with gifts." I love her. I don't know that I could, like, be friends with her or something, but watching her on tv is magical. I also like how she took Tim's and Sweet P's advice--she may be crazy, but she knows when she needs help, and all in all, she seems really sweet, just a little out there. Also, the other best part of the runway was Heidi's telling Marion and Steve that their outfit looked like it came out of the basement. Where does she get this stuff? I heart Heidi. And Sarah cringed when Heidi said that! She must be feeling some kind of empathy for these guys--she couldn't be mean to them or even watch Heidi be mean to them. (I can watch you be mean to them all day, Heidi--keep it up.)

Ryan pointed out another reason to hate Christian: he doesn't listen to Tim Gunn. Um, my friend, if you are on Project Runway, you are there to listen to Tim Gunn! Dammit. Seriously, that's the advice all the veterans give to the new designers: listen to Tim. And whenever you don't listen to Tim, it bites you in the ass. He told Christian his design was too retro, and that is exactly what Nina Garcia and Michael said on the runway. The only time this didn't happen was when Keith didn't add anything to his outfit and won the "make a dress out of your apartment" challenge in the third season. Whatever. The one time Tim Gunn was off. Plus, Robert and Uli's dresses were better. Anyway!

Motherfuckin' Brandi Carlile wrote a Christmas song, y'all, in the vein of "River," so you know I totally love it. She even plays it on the piano, just so I can associate it that much more closely with "River" in my head. I love to inject a little melancholy into Christmas. Especially these days, since I kind of hate Christmas. Believe me, if Christmas really were about peace on earth and good will toward men, if it could come "without packages, boxes, or bags" I would be all about it. But it's not, y'all. It's about buying things. And that makes me ill. The Grinch thought that's what Christmas was about, and he was right. I wish he weren't. Plus, I've become totally disenchanted with Christianity, so Christmas has lost even more meaning for me. And I've been hearing people talking about getting all their Christmas shopping done since October. Why do you have to buy all this shit to tell people they mean something to you? Working in retail is really ruining Christmas for me. Also the fact that I don't believe in Santa any longer. Christmas has totally lost its magic now.

I think I need a good dose of The Polar Express; that always breaks through my cynical little heart and maybe makes me cry at the end (the book, not the horrifying movie--but did I even have to tell you that?). However! It is still November. It is not Christmastime yet, dammit.

Hah, there are even official lyrics for Brandi's new song, and someone proofread them before sending them off to the internet. Apostrophes in the right place, no spelling mistakes, love it. Although, I did find further evidence that girl can't spell: before "Same Ol' You" in Bellingham, she was singing snatches of country songs I don't know, and one of them included spelling the word surprise, which she fucked up. But she knew she fucked it up. And it was funny.

I always forget this, but I have such a crush on Winona Ryder. Especially when she played my literary hero number one, Josephine March. Not so much in Edward Scissorhands, though. What is with the blonde hair? I don't know why I forget this, because when I first saw Keira Knightley, I thought she looked a lot like Winona Ryder. Which one is prettier? It's difficult to say.

No comments: