November 28, 2007

Clean and bright

Every day on my way to work, I drive past this...place--I don't even know what it is--that has a sign outside that says "machinist wanted." I'd never even heard the word machinist until I got obsessed with Brandi Carlile and learned of Tim and Phil's former band. I guess that shows you how unfamiliar I am with manual labor of any kind. Other than putting away boxes of soap. Anyway, the "machinist wanted" sign always makes me think of the Hanseroth twins and smile. I know I've said this before, but I don't say it enough in comparison to how much I say it about the girl--I love the twins.

So, big, big ups to Janine, who read my plea for more books and actually responded. Seriously, I wasn't even expecting anyone to care. I'm still shocked to find evidence of people I don't know reading this thing. But I got all excited to read Sarah Waters's other novel and Fall on Your Knees--until I realized that the latter was an Oprah's Book Club book. Like, that's a red flag to me right there. However, upon further research, I discovered that Oprah had chosen One Hundred Years of Solitude for her book club, and even though that took me, like, a year to read, I totally loved it. So I suppose there's still hope for Fall on Your Knees. All right, the rest of the internet, don't be shy. Tell me about your favorite books--gay or otherwise. Are there any good books about dudes? I'd be open to a dude love story--I totally loved "Brokeback Mountain," but, you know, it wasn't a novel. And it's the only dude love story I've read.

Right now, I'm still plowing through Flannery O'Connor's short stories and trying (and mostly failing) to read the (abridged version!) of the Iliad I had to buy for Western Civ freshman year. I don't know if I'm ever gonna make it through these classics. Time for a novel.

Oh my god, it's Wednesday, and I don't have to work so that means I get to watch Project Runway! Hurray! At my old job, I would obsessively write about it every Thursday morning, because I had even more time on my hands over there. Although, there isn't anyone in this cast that I can love as crazily as I loved Uli, I don't think, but there's still Heidi, Tim, and Nina Garcia, after all.

I love the part of this line "Tears and fears and feeling proud to say I love you right out loud" when Joni sings "to say I love you right out loud." That was when I fell in love with Joni Mitchell, I think--when I heard that.

No comments: