November 29, 2007

Battle of the Bands III

I love this game, y'all. I can't believe it took me this long to do it. Today's episode brought to you by the letter C and the number 7.

C
“California”: Joni Mitchell vs. Josh Ritter vs. Semisonic vs. Rufus Wainwright
The Decision: This was actually close, except for Josh Ritter, because, meh, but I love all three of the other songs with a fierceness. Still, someone had to win.
Winner: Joni Mitchell

“Cannonball”: Brandi Carlile vs. Damien Rice
The Decision: Now, this should be a no-brainer, because Brandi Carlile has the help of the Indigo Girls to make her song awesome, but I was totally obsessed with Damien Rice’s song my junior (or sophomore?) year of college. However. His song has been quoted by too many earnest teenage girls in their livejournals or whatever—and it’s not as good as “Blower’s Daughter.” Plus, Brandi Carlile and the Indigo Girls. I guess it was really a no-brainer after all.
Winner: Brandi Carlile (and the Indigo Girls)

“Carbon Monoxide”: Cake vs. Regina Spektor
The Decision: This was tough, because I totally love both of these songs, but “Carbon Monoxide” was one of the first songs of Regina’s I heard, way back in 2004 in the WDOM studio, and so it will always have a special place in my heart. Aw.
Winner: Regina Spektor

“Catapult”: Counting Crows vs. Phish
The Decision: Okay, so this Phish song isn’t so much a song—it’s only 30 seconds long—and I love wailing this Counting Crows song in the car, but Phish almost stole it with the line: “there ain’t gonna be a wedding,” which just set me off for some reason.
Winner: Counting Crows

“Closer to You”: Brandi Carlile vs. Liz Phair
The Decision: I wish this one had been more of a battle, because I love both of these bitches, but this Liz Phair song is from her latest album and it kind of blows. And this Brandi Carlile song is one of my very favorites.
Winner: Brandi Carlile

“Come Together”: The Beatles vs. Blur
The Decision: Oh, please. Poor Blur doesn’t even stand a chance against this song.
Winner: The Beatles

“Crush”: Dave Matthews Band vs. Mandy Moore
The Decision: Don’t laugh at me, but I find this Mandy Moore song charming. And I love the extra verse in the Dave Matthews song that never makes it to the radio. Crap. I can’t pick one.
Winner: Tie! If you have an opinion, feel free to leave it, so I can break this tie.

2 comments:

sunnyday04 said...

“Cannonball”: Brandi Carlile vs. Damien Rice
Winner: Brandi Carlile (and the Indigo Girls)

This is one of the few instances where I'd have to vote against Brandi.
Damien Rice for the win.

“Carbon Monoxide”: Cake vs. Regina Spektor

I'd have to go with Cake on this one. Their music is so much fun to listen to. Random, but good.

“Crush”: Dave Matthews Band vs. Mandy Moore

:( It's a tie for me because I hate both so much. I had never heard the Mandy Moore version before, until just now. If I had to choose I'd vote for Mandy because she likes Brandi and she's come along way musically since these days. I also loathe DMB.

Booknerd said...

That hurts my soul, Sunny, that you'd vote against Brandi. Even though I just did it myself. Twice. Oh, never mind. I just really like "Cannonball."