November 28, 2007

Battle of the Bands II

Here are the Bs. Do with them what you will. I am having so much fun with this.

B
“Baby”: Dave Matthews vs. Rufus Wainwright
The Decision: I can’t remember really listening to Dave’s song before; it’s sweet. And Rufus’s is very Rufus. Hmm.
Winner: Dave Matthews

“Barcelona”: Jewel vs. Rufus Wainwright
The Decision: Can Rufus redeem himself against Jewel? I think he can. I’m not a big fan of this Jewel song, and even though Rufus’s song is long, I like it better. So, there.
Winner: Rufus Wainwright

“Better”: Regina Spektor vs. Toby Lightman
The Decision: Well, I only have this Toby Lightman song because it was on a compilation that also featured…some other girl…but it’s actually a pretty good song. Good enough to best Regina? Not even close.
Winner: Regina Spektor

“Black”: Trey Anastasio vs. Pete Yorn
The Decision: I had to listen to both of these songs twice, because neither one left that much of an impression on me, so… I’m not sure how meaningful this battle is.
Winner: Pete Yorn

“Boston”: Augustana vs. Piney Gir
The Decision: Lord knows I love songs about Boston, and I was crazy about this Augustana one, but it got totally over-exposed. And I love Piney, but her song isn’t actually about Boston, so… Still, over-exposure is almost always the death knell of a song I liked.
Winner: Piney Gir

“Boys”: Ryan Adams vs. The Beatles
The Decision: Well, I mean, you’d think The Beatles would win every time, wouldn’t you? But this is one of their earliest songs and not my fave, and I really dig this Ryan Adams song, so. There.
Winner: Ryan Adams

No comments: